Subject: Significant ESJWG Developments Showcased at ACORD Forum
Dear E&S Colleague:
The E&S Joint Working Group (ESJWG) functions for the betterment of the E&S and specialty lines business. ESJWG is a group of volunteers working to improve the efficiencies for retail agents, general agents, wholesale brokers and carriers by promoting use of ACORD standards, best-practice workflows, and the electronic exchange of data among business partners.
We’ve made great strides since our founding. This has been an active year for ESJWG, but we’re not done yet.
This week, for instance, ESJWG leaders showcased accomplishments and future challenges at the ACORD Implementation Forum in Boston. Our volunteer leaders highlighted key accomplishments including:
- Creating an approved standard for the E&S business (an E&S-centric version of ACORD’s commercial general liability standard) in just 10 months.
- Developing and submitting a commercial property standard to ACORD for approval.
- Starting up development of an inland marine standard.
- Establishing NPN (National Producer Number) as unique identifier for GA downloads to retail agents and creation of User Guide.
- Identifying GA – Retail Agent best practice workflows & communications
- Expanding ESJWG membership to more than 400 participants (general agents, retail agents, E&S carriers, vendors, and association members).
Those achievements are really just a warmup. We’ve got plenty of other opportunities, near- and long-term:
- Reviewing and submitting revisions to enhance standards for commercial umbrella, excess liability, directors & officers, employment practices liability, and employee benefits liability to fit the needs of the E&S markets.
- Enhancing communications and processes among retail agents, general agents and E&S carriers.
- Giving Lloyd’s cover holders better abilities to deliver US property exposure, premium and claims bordereaux electronically from their systems to their London brokers using the Lloyd’s & ACORD standards.
- Encouraging vendors and retail and general agents to implement ESJWG’s recommended workflow improvements, including incorporation of NPN to uniquely identify GA/wholesaler downloads, Real Time and other process “best practices.”
ESJWG gets strong support from NAPSLO (National Association of Professional Surplus Lines Offices), AAMGA (American Association of Managing General Agents), and ACT (Agents Council for Technology), and ACORD, which all help spread the word out about ESJWG.
- ESJWG has three subgroups for key business interests:
- Retail Agent – GA: Focus on improving workflows and communications among retail agents and GAs/wholesalers, including the use of standard applications, Real Time, Download, etc.
- Carrier: Concentration on automating the flow of data to/from carriers and GA/wholesalers using ACORD standards, that have been enhanced where needed to meet the needs of the E&S industry.
- Lloyd’s: Facilitate the development & implementation of standards governing the London market.
What Are We Asking You To Do?
Learn More. Browse through the website.
Join the Effort. Each subgroup has conference calls to develop and update initiatives in its area. Everything we’ve developed has come from within our business, and we need to know the priorities and pressures you have.
To join the E&S JWG effort, register on www.acord.org and email email@example.com to let them know that you would like to join the E&S Joint Working Group and/or one or more of the subgroups—Carrier, Retail Agent-GA, or Lloyd’s.
If we can help further, feel free to contact us:
Angelyn Treutel, SouthGroup Insurance
Mike Roy, Risk Placement Services Inc.
E&S Joint Working Group (ESJWG) Co-Chairs
About The E&S Joint Working Group (ESJWG): Formed in 2008, the group is an alliance of carriers, agents and vendors working with the American Association of Managing General Agents (AAMGA), ACORD, Agents Council for Technology (ACT) of the Independent Agents & Brokers of America, and the National Association of Professional Surplus Lines Offices (NAPSLO). ESJWG’s mission is to improve the efficiencies for retail agents, general agents, wholesale brokers and carriers by promoting use of ACORD standards, best-practice workflows and the electronic exchange of data among each of the business partners. The group comprises retail agent/general agent, carrier and Lloyd’s subgroups. www.ESJWG.org.